Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Stitch Fix November 2013 Box Review - Stitch Fix #1


I received a $20 Stitch Fix gift card in my October PopSugar box and I was excited to finally give this company a try!

Stitch Fix is a clothing service that sends you a box of pieces selected specifically for you by a stylist. You try everything on at home and mail back the pieces you don't want within three days in a pre-paid mailer. There is a $20 styling fee, which can be used as a credit towards any of the items you want to keep. If you keep nothing, you are out the $20 fee. If you keep everything, you get it all at a 25% discount (and then -$20 for the styling fee).

Stitch Fix has a very extensive questionnaire that covers everything from sizes and body measurements to price points and lifestyle. There is a form for you to review each item received and give your stylist comments and feedback, with the goal of Fix's becoming more and more tailored to your preferences over time! 

Now, on to what I received in my November Fix! Here's first looks:






My first thoughts? The stuff was packed up beautifully but... OMG... this is such a drab and boring color palette. And MORE black and white and stripes???? I just went through this with my October Golden Tote. Maybe I'm alone in this philosophy but I feel like cold weather is already depressing enough without dressing in depressing clothes all the time, too. Ugh. Well, part of the game is trying everything on regardless because sometimes you find something you never expected to love! On to the individual pieces! 


Kensie Jeans Johnny Skinny Jeans, $88
and 
Honey Punch Payge Striped Cross-Back Sweater, $48 


 




This sweater was a super thin and soft fabric. For November? Um, no. It really feels like a lightweight beachy kind of coverup, especially since the back is majorly drapey and open, but, then again I would never choose this color combo for summer. I actually saw some Fix's online where people received this sweater in summer boxes in lighter colors, so who knows. Idk... just not for me, I guess.  

The Kensie jeans are super stretchy and cropped to the ankle and I love them. They would be a keeper but I purchased a similar pair in LA in September and don't need another pair of navy jeans. I gave feedback that I'd love to have them in a bright, fun color! 


LA Made Elowen Colorblocked Sweater Tunic,  $68



OMG, all of this stuff is SO dark. Look at my pictures - even with all the interior lights on AND the camera flash it's hard to tell what's what. Ugh, need some color in my life. 

Anyways, this sweater. 100% viscose. Seriously. It gave me the heebie jeebies just picking it up and I cringed putting it on. It has that synthetic fabric thin weave slinkiness like some sleazy old man would wear... does that make sense?? Gross. And, just FYI, the thing is NOT "LA Made," it's made in China. Pass.


Oxmo Fletcher Open Front Cardigan, $118



Well... I do love a good sweater coat. This one had a nice weight to it and was super cozy on. The thing was just SO boxy and shapeless, though, and had no tie or belt or closure of any kind. I can see how people lose themselves down the muumuu path and I really try to not let myself buy things that are just completely shape-hiding and dowdy (unless it's avant garde, of course, then anything goes! haha). 


41Hawthorn Brentwood Jersey Top, $68



Okay, a cute top for jeans is something I can work with. The cut and style is interesting and the fabric is super soft and something I can see myself reaching for again and again. After my gift card/styling credit, keeping this one cost me $48. 

So, I kept one out of five. If I had kept everything, my total cost, after the 25% discount, would have been close to $300. It's not that the pieces were horrible as much as they were just uninspiring, you know? I provided TONS of feedback on my box and I will give this service at least one more go! I'm curious what I'll receive next time and hopeful that things move in the right direction! 

If you would like to try Stitch Fix, please use one of my referral links! Thanks, doll!! 

** And, PS, I am participating in the Fall 30x30 Challenge and technically not supposed to buy any clothes this month. I had already ordered this box before I committed to that so I'm thinking that technically it doesn't count! LOL! 




10 comments:

  1. I don't think that counts as "buying" either. And where would you wear that first top in November? Nowhere in Michigan!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ikr? So silly. I was cold wearing it IN the house! LOL

      Delete
  2. Oh no! Sorry your first fix was such a fail! I find that it's very hit & miss with me & Stitch Fix. Sometimes, they are on point and I keep everything. Other times I laugh all the way back to the post office.

    The best advice I give people is give them TONS of feedback on each piece. I also adjust my original profile often with things like more color, avoid X, I need more X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I gave feedback until I literally ran out of room to write in the comments boxes! Haha! Interested to see how it goes!

      Delete
  3. I agree. I need color...lots and lots of color. Since I had to emergency buy something, I say this doesn't count:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You had a hole in yours, though. I'm just a regular old shopaholic! LOL!

      Delete
  4. I just got my November box and I was a little upset, because I asked for it to arrive on Friday (so I'd have all weekend to look at the pieces and take pictures) and it came Monday night! SOooo. I had to do indoor pics! They turned out ok, tho, I plan to blog about it on Monday since the 30x30 is tomorrow. I wonder if you need to change your overall style on their site? Maybe it is not in sync with what you normally wear. I agree with everyone else, leave lots of comments for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine didn't arrive on the day I requested, either. Do they usually? Since this was my first box I wasn't sure if that was typical or not!

      Delete
  5. it's all about the feedback for sure. i think your next box will be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they sent me your "interesting black" box! ;)

      Delete