Wednesday, July 3, 2013

DIY: Kool-Aid hair color!

The girls go to private school and have to dress pretty conservatively, so in the summer they LOVE the chance to cut loose a little with their appearances! One of their favorite summer traditions is dying their hair tips with Kool-Aid! I feel better about it than regular hair dye and it pretty much washes out over a month or two, especially with time spent in the pool. And if it's NOT all gone, we only dye the last few inches that will need to be trimmed before school starts anyway! It's so cute and fun and I thought we'd share how easy it is with you!! 

1. Buy packs of Kool-aid at the grocery store. You need three packs of the same flavor per color. Just about any color is going to show up great on blonde hair, brown hair needs a darker color like red or purple. Each color needs its own small plastic bowl.



2. Put hair in a ponytail at base of neck then a second ponytail holder to mark the point that you don't want the dye to pass. My girls think this hairstyle looks like Jasmine! ;)

3. Dump the Kool-Aid into the bowl and fill the bowl about halfway full of warm/hot water. It will be THICK, so give it a couple stirs to dissolve the Kool-Aid. Then microwave the bowl for about a minute to get it really good and hot. 

4. Dunk just the part you want dyed into the bowl and let it sit for 10 minutes. I kind of swish it around every once in a while to make sure the color gets all the way through the hair. We can't do this step without making a MESS so we usually do this on the floor/seat of my walk-in shower with the girls in minimal clothes! LOL!



5. Leave ponytail holders in and rinse the hair with cold water

6. Leave ponytail holders in and dry with a hair dryer. I take it down when it's still a little damp and then finish drying completely to make sure it doesn't get on any clothes, etc. 

Purple is kinda subtle on brown, but so pretty! 

Wild and crazy for Pep! LOL!


7. That's it! Enjoy! Happy summer!!

8 comments:

  1. I'm so doing this with my kids. Maybe a summer photo shoot first but why the heck not?! OMBRE TIME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it!!! Send me pics when u do it! I'd love to see how it turns out! You can do lighter color then the very tips in a darker color to get a real multiple color ombré going on if you're feeling really crafty!! :)

      Delete
  2. My favorite of your blog posts! Craftiness, kids, and color! Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I'm sure piper would be all about it!! Haha!

      Delete
  3. I'm gonna do my own! I loooove pepper's color! GO CATS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so much fun, I should do this with my kids this summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's a big hit around here. We had all kinds of kids with all sorts of crazy colors last summer! I'm sure we will do it all over again this year! :D

      Delete